Artist Assistant Jobs NYC, Flamingo Books is seeking a Senior Designer/Assistant Art Director to join our team to create commercial books in a creative and collaborative working environment.
This role will give the right candidate the opportunity to work with celebrity authors, established creators, and new talent. The role will focus on designing picture books with the potential for graphic novels and chapter books.
Flamingo Books is a new imprint founded, publishing 12-15 books a year. Authors and illustrators include Seth Meyers, Reese Witherspoon, Pete Oswald, and newcomer and bestselling illustrator, Rob Sayegh.
The Senior Designer will work closely with a small synergetic team from the earliest stage of acquisition to publication and beyond.
We are looking for someone with the ability to design with an inclusive mindset that considers the full range of human diversity with respect to ability, language, culture, gender, age, and other forms of human experience.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to
- Leading projects, with all aspects of bookmaking, including but not limited to layout, text edits, proofing, routing, and developing typographic solutions
- Designing 10-15 books a year including full (jacket, interior) picture books and board books
- Finding and pitching new artists
- Taking part in team meetings with the Editors and Art Director to brainstorm, review layouts, problem-solve, and strategize, as well as one-on-one meetings with the Art Director to review passes and send art notes to authors and illustrators
- Participating in Submission meetings by reading/reviewing manuscripts/dummies for potential acquisition.
- Working collaboratively with editorial, managing editorial, copyediting, and production
- Communicating clearly with artists and agents
- Meeting print deadlines
- Familiarity with color profiles, color correction, and packaging print-ready files for printers
- A deep interest in children’s books and the craft of bookmaking
- 5-7 years of experience in book publishing design
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator)
- A passion for working with artists (commercial to fine artists and everyone in between)
- A portfolio that showcases inventive design, typography, and/or hand-lettering skills
- Strong interpersonal / communication skills and a desire to work and learn collaboratively
- Experience with PDF workflow and pre-press production
- An organized and flexible approach to work
- Consistent follow-up and follow-through with the ability to time-manage and prioritize a multitude of tasks
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Our range of benefits includes, but is not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom, and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.