Audio Jobs NYC, The Daily is consistently ranked the top daily news podcast in the country. The show works in collaboration with journalists across the New York Times, and, every episode, brings listeners a single story with nuance, depth, and context.
Our format is flexible. We prominently feature produced interviews with New York Times journalists, but we also interview people living through news events – and we use the tools of narrative audio documentary to make our stories dimensional, vivid and immersive.
Whatever form an episode takes, we seek to tell the story of the moment we are in for our audience and to do so in service of truth and understanding. We are searching for a producer to join our team as we continue to expand the ambitions of the show. Strong candidates will have solid experience in audio production.
Experience structuring, guiding, and cutting host-guest interviews are particularly valuable. The ability to structure audio around plot and ideas is crucial. We also look for candidates who understand how to work with scene tape, and archival tape, and who know how to score conversations with music.
They should feel energized by a news-driven environment and comfortable working on tight deadlines. They will be expected to pitch show ideas that use Times journalism as the backbone, as well as audio-centered original ideas that leverage our symbiotic relationship with the larger newsroom.
They should be eager to team up with Daily colleagues and reporters in the newsroom to talk through ideas, structure, script, and tape episodes. They should be comfortable collaborating, multitasking, and taking editorial notes.
Ultimately, the best candidates are those who are eager to dive in on a daily news show that both reacts to the news and propels it forward, from conception to publication.
- Monitor the news cycle and Times editorial calendar.
- Pitch episodes of the show, with a particular eye for quick turnaround news stories.
- Build and maintain relationships with Times reporters and editors, ranging from audio first-timers to veterans.
- Participate in pre-interviews with reporters and sources.
- Participate in scripting episodes, alongside editors and senior producers.
- Participate in episode tapings, including helping direct hosts and guests, logging conversations, and identifying potential tracks.
- Create post-production plans for episodes, alongside senior producers and editors.
- Build clean drafts of episodes that include two-way conversations, scenes, narration, scoring, etc., often on tight deadlines.
- Incorporate edits on episodes with grace and speed.
- Collaborate with audio engineers and composers to improve the sound of the show.
- Close episodes the night before they’re published as part of a regular rotation.
- At least 3-4 years of experience in audio production.
- Genuine passion and appetite for the news.
- Experience generating and presenting pitches on deadline.
- Experience scripting stories for audio, with ideally some experience scripting interviews.
- Fluency in audio production, ideally in ProTools.
- Experience researching, selecting, and cutting raw tape, including interviews, archival, and newsreel.
- High editorial standards and a commitment to fact-checking to ensure fairness and accuracy.
- Collaborative nature and spirit of generosity, even in high-pressure situations.
This position is represented by the News Guild of NY.