Information Technology Jobs In Canada
About Queen’s University
Queen’s University is a Canadian research-intensive university with a transformative student learning experience.
Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity-seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community, and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society. Come work with us!
Reporting to the Associate Director, Technology and Operations, the Systems Administrator is responsible for capacity planning, allocation, scheduling, maintenance, and optimization of servers and storage systems to meet the university’s research requirements at the Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC).
Working as a key member of the Security Operations Team, the incumbent plans, implements, maintains, manages, troubleshoots, and actively monitors servers, storage and backups solutions, system configuration, software, and related infrastructure.
The Systems Administrator maintains a high degree of technical knowledge to develop and maintain the Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC) computers and data systems, provide technical input to meet operational and/or project requirements, and create technical and user documentation for training purposes.
The schedule for this position requires the incumbent to work occasional early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends, and may also require participation in an on-call rotation to provide system support outside of regular work hours.
• Install, configure, maintain, and monitor servers, operating systems, and storage solutions, in accordance with security standards and operational requirements.
• Provides technical support, guidance, and direction for servers and virtualization environments at the CAC.
• Provides technical support, advice, guidance, and direction for storage products employed to clients of the CAC, including the OHDP -Q platform.
• Monitors servers and storage devices to isolate and diagnose common system problems, resolve problems, and document events to ensure continuous functioning. Refer more complicated hardware and software problems to vendors for repair.
• Create storage partitions and shares based on client needs, assign file and sharing permissions and manage storage sharing protocols such as NFS and SMB.
• Manage, schedule, and monitor backups, replication, and snapshots, deploying Backup configuration setup and providing all levels of support of storage and/or backup infrastructure and services.
• Ensure the appropriate backup level provisioning is maintained, by reviewing daily backup operations, and ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media.
• Assist in planning and managing change to system infrastructure and application environment while maintaining operational stability, availability, and integrity.
• Participates in establishing work schedules, ensuring assigned work follows schedule (may require coordinating workflow and determining priorities as necessary with security operations team and Development unit). Inform CAC management of any information that may identify challenges to work schedules, missed deliverables, incomplete tasks or inaccurate results.
• Document, and maintain the installation of server and storage systems configuration and procedures as part of the internal knowledge base. Write non-technical documentation for end-user support and training.
• Collaborates with team members on the development and analysis of system standards, thresholds, and recommendations to maximize system performance. Analyzes and monitors system performance through the implementation of baseline changes and infrastructure upgrades, and prepares storage usage reporting.
• Maintain a high degree of knowledge/expertise in the use of computer operating systems, storage and backups, security, and other aspects of information technology.
• Provide maintenance of technical support for production systems. Ensure that system security, backup, and recovery mechanisms are operational.
• Willingness to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
• Undertakes other duties as required in support of the CAC.
• University degree, with a technical concentration, such as Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
• Several years (minimum 5 years) of relevant experience working within the information technology field.
• Proven experience using Linux (CentOS/Redhat/Ubuntu) with Linux certifications such as RHCSA/RHCE considered an asset.
• Demonstrated experience with servers, virtualization, and storage infrastructure.
• Experience maintaining storage, backup, and recovery technologies.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of networking (TCP/IP).
• Criminal background check (CPIC) required.
• Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• High degree of knowledge on backup concepts relating to the type, iteration, and retention in accordance with compliance and legal statutes. Backup automation, scheduling, verification, and data migration experience.
• Knowledge and application of Python and other scripting languages such as Bash.
• Familiarity with Windows Active Directory and/or OpenLDAP and the ability to integrate systems with it.
• Possess expertise in Linux and Windows server operating systems.
• Ability to successfully and effectively deliver and support high availability systems.
• Ability to support and maintain VMWare and Tape backup appliances.
• Well-developed analytical and problem-solving and troubleshooting.
• Must be able to work in a strong client -service oriented, team-based environment, with an ability to respond quickly even under challenging circumstances, being sensitive to client needs, and adhering to confidentiality as required
• Effective time management skills to handle a broad range of responsibilities and frequent interruptions.
• Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills in order to exchange information with individuals at various levels of technical familiarity and proficiency.
• Effective time management skills to handle a range of responsibilities under time pressure.
• Ability to adapt to a changing work environment and acquire new technical skills as becomes necessary.
• Ability to work on own and with limited supervision as well as collaborate with team members, as required by the assigned task.
• Determine appropriate problem-solving procedures and decide how to best rectify the problem. Decide if a problem should be referred to others.
• Determine how best to meet the department’s need for Servers and Storage systems.
• Allocate time, prioritize tasks and determine workflow. Continually assess and adjust priorities and manage tasks in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
• Evaluate and make recommendations such as the purchase or acquisition of new storage systems, peripherals, and software.
• Assesses the nature of a request and assists the customer as appropriate.
• Determine which reports and analyses are required, who to distribute information to, and how to present the information clearly and effectively.
• Make recommendations toward the allocation of resources.
• Confidentiality is paramount, therefore an aptitude to differentiate what information is sharable when and to whom.