AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather’s innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute forecasts with Superior Accuracy , the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
The award-winning and national AccuWeather Television Network is seeking an Assignment Editor to monitor weather news and information as well as to help initiate coverage plans and create story development. This includes supporting the lead network producers and reporters, as well as the digital story team to create engaging content.
The Assignment Editor will monitor news and weather information sources and social media to find engaging weather news stories. Responsibilities include aggressively seeking potential story possibilities, determining story priorities, documenting details, keeping information updated and relaying progression of the stories to the appropriate teams. The role shares story information and updates within the cross-platform news communication process.
This position reports to the Senior Planning Producer and works closely with the production teams. Remote candidates are being considered for this exciting opportunity.
- Demonstrates news awareness and editorial judgement to dig for stories and begin story development
- Aggressively connects with sources for information and story leads
- Maintains updates in content planning sites
- Understands content strategy and timing for delivery
- Creates relationships with partners, social media contacts, reporting teams
- Has demonstrated ability to pitch and deliver interesting and unique stories
- Keeps updated on news events and gathers information (stats, interviews, video, etc. ) to build effective storytelling across all platforms
- Identifies future news opportunities, sources and confirms news information
- Communicates information in a complete, scripted fashion to support show production and story development
- Coordinates series and long-term production with producer team
- Maintains a positive attitude and ability to work collaboratively with a variety of teams
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of experience and demonstrated success at news station or network
- Excellent research skills and broadcast/digital writing ability
- Demonstrated news awareness and editorial judgement
- Working knowledge of news content management systems (iNews, ENPS, Dalet, Inception, etc.)
- Ability to work under deadline pressure, adapt to change and juggle multiple tasks
- Understands what makes a good story on television and online
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized
- Undergraduate degree in journalism or related field
- Availability to work varying shifts, including weekends and overnights, as needed, including when news or events deserve attention
- In the United States, AccuWeather is only able to hire team members in the following states due to taxation purposes: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI and WY.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.