BookNook is a comprehensive literacy intervention program, providing instruction through a synchronous teaching and learning platform, standards-aligned curriculum and tutoring services. Since 2016, BookNook has served more than 500 school districts and non-profit partners across 40 states. A 2022 research study with the Consortium for Policy Research in Education suggests a clear link between high-impact tutoring with BookNook and literacy scores. BookNook is committed to bridging the literacy opportunity gap by scaling technology innovation to reach students through its network of experienced and vetted tutors. For more information, visit https://www.booknook.com.
As the Director, Engineering at BookNook, you will play an integral role in building out, scaling, and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform. As Director, Engineering, you will be responsible for leading all technical aspects of the BookNook app – the development team consisting of full-stack engineers, a near shore vendor team as well as QA. Reporting directly to the Chief Product Officer, you will collaborate with product management and UX on a constant basis to ensure feasibility and scope definition of net new feature/functionality, but also play an integral role in defining roadmap prioritization. You will need to be action oriented and comfortable in a player/coach role as we collectively architect a scalable and flexible platform for the future.
At BookNook, You Will
- Supervise and mentor a team of full-stack engineers, vendor partners, and QA engineers
- Play a leadership role within the greater product organization by offering expertise and perspective through the solutioning, roadmapping and development processes
- Build, test, scale, support, and frequently refine new products and services
- Own what you build through the entire product lifecycle
- Tackle a wide variety of coding challenges throughout the stack and contribute to all parts of our codebase
- Build a platform that teaches reading to thousands of children every day
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it
You are a good fit for this role if you have:
- 7+ years of experience shipping high-quality web-based software
- We run a React/Redux-based static frontend, but we welcome experience with other frameworks and technology stacks
- Deep expertise in backend technologies, including frameworks such as NodeJS or Django, relational databases, SQL, data modeling, API design, testing, performance optimization, etc
- We run a Nodejs / Postgres stack that leverages Google Firebase for real-time syncExperience deploying and maintaining software in cloud environments. We host our services on Heroku, AWS, and Google Cloud
- Like to play a role in driving user outcomes. You are product-led; we are not a team of ticket-takers
- Passion for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges
- Someone who cares about the user experience and be driven by solving real-world problems
- Someone who embraces the agile development process and lean startup approach, grounded in metrics and user data
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators
Perks and Benefits
- Compensation: For this role, the salary range is $175 – $185k plus bonus
- Work Remotely: Live and work where you like in the United States
- Health Insurance: We offer a very comprehensive benefits package
- 401(k): 3% Company Match
- Time to Recharge: We offer unlimited PTO, 12 paid holidays, and a company-wide closure
- Equity: We offer all full-time employees an equity grant that vests over a standard schedule.
- Home office setup: Get a laptop and a monthly stipend for home expenses.
Since 2016, we have served more than 500 school districts and non-profit partners across 40 states. Join our team of innovators who share a commitment to provide equitable access to rigorous and engaging instruction. Our employees make an impact on students’ lives by providing a synchronous online learning platform designed to enhance academic achievement through small-group reading instruction and online tutoring.