Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to large, Fortune 100 enterprises with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.8 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
The Search and Discovery team’s charter is to build trusted relationships between users and our platform through search, browse and recommendation experiences. We empower our customers to find and be found and build relevant finding experiences that our customers love and trust. It’s welcoming, easy, and gets smarter as they keep using it.
We are a collaborative, close-knit group of UX, product, engineering, research, content design, AI and machine learning, and analytics partners. We start with why, sweat the details and support each other to reach our goals. You will report to the Sr Director of Product Design and be empowered by our company and UX team culture to create well-crafted design solutions that help millions of users on the world’s work marketplace.
- Develop an understanding of Upwork’s customers, product, business, and competitive landscape.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and UX teams across multiple geographies to uncover customer needs and solve them through engaging digital experiences that meet our business goals.
- Lead the design process end-to-end for your work from discovery to delivery, including: strategy, research, exploration, planning, concepts to high fidelity to design specs, design QA and iterative testing
- Support multiple work streams and different projects while connecting dots across all product experiences.
- Design within our flexible design system and evolve it for new needs.
- Build relationships and two way influence with partners across the organization to ensure that search and browse experiences connect with teams both up and down the funnel and align with the broader company strategy.
- Participate in translating complex ideas into understandable concepts that evolve and enhance the product experience
- Present experiences and concepts in clear narratives to partners and leaders and ably communicate at all levels, keeping close partners and your manager informed.
- Further strengthen our design team through mentorship, design critiques and knowledge sharing.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- You have experience as a Lead+ level designer owning multiple, large-scale design projects from start to finish.
- You have experience with search and browse interfaces and working with Data Science or Machine Learning teams
- You are curious about new ways of designing as it pertains to AI and beyond.
- You have a toolkit of numerous design methods and solutions that you can and can quickly see a variety of solutions to a problem.
- You have a portfolio of work that shows excellent visual design skills, UX thinking, craft, and design leadership.
- You are a storyteller and can weave and share compelling narratives around research findings, quant data and design concepts.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment, you gather and integrate feedback, influence stakeholders and create energy for ideas or initiative.
- You excel in a fluid environment and have a process and are ready to change it up when needed.
The annual base salary for this position in California and Washington ranges from $170,000 – $230,000. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum salary for this position in California and Washington, and individual base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Additionally, this position is eligible for the annual bonus plan or sales incentive plan and eligibility to participate in our long term equity incentive program.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also hire full-time employees in 19 states in the United States.