What to Expect
Materials Test Engineer Jobs in Canada, The candidate will work as a member of Tesla’s Materials Test Group to lead, support, and advise on all materials-level mechanical test activities. The position will be based in Fremont (California, USA) within the Materials Test Lab.
Post Name Materials Test Engineer
Qualification M.S. or Ph.D. in Materials Science, Materials Engineering
Employment Type Full Time
Work Hours 8 Hours
Salary CAD 48 To CAD 52 Per Hour
Location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5K 0A1
What You’ll Do
- Lead the method selection and execution of mechanical testing for a wide variety of materials across all Tesla products.
- Assess risk within upcoming projects and ensure applicable mechanical tests are completed within demanding project timelines.
- Drive the development of new test and evaluation methods for assessing the mechanical properties of various materials and joining methods.
- Conduct mechanical testing in an extremely fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Interface with a broad spectrum of internal customers to drive concerns to a root cause and effective resolution.
- Independently complete materials tests and issue reports for approval.
- Create and manage “Concerns” documentation to facilitate and trace corrective actions to a resolution.
- Coordinate with Simulation and Design teams to develop and execute appropriate mechanical testing approaches for the creation of material property models and material cards.
- Work with internal engineering teams and external suppliers to develop and validate the performance of materials at both the part and coupon levels.
- Be capable of both working independently as well as part of broad cross-functional teams to drive novel, best-of-class designs, and solutions in the clean energy space.
- Lead materials test technicians to support test setup, test execution and interpret test results.
What You’ll Bring
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering with a focus on mechanical testing, or similar. B.S. candidates with exceptional work experience will also be considered.
- Exhibit a diverse knowledge of mechanical testing of materials, including sample preparation, test equipment, and associated analysis techniques. Experience in metals, polymers, composites, joining methods, and other automotive materials and processes are highly desired.
- Extensive experience with strain measurement techniques, including video extensometers and 2D/3D digital image correction (DIC).
- Broad understanding of mechanical behavior of materials along with experience understanding fracture behaviors and interpreting fracture surfaces.
- Experience in working with hazardous materials with a willingness to exhibit and promote health and safety across the team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to establish effective working relationships.
- Broad experience in working and leading cross-functional teams to drive product and specification development and a demonstrated ability to influence the direction of design based on test results
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, meet deadlines, and manage time independently.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity, or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need accommodation at any point during the interview process.