Medical Office Assistant Jobs in Kamloops, Provides a wide variety of confidential clerical and medical office assistant duties including reception, billing, screening, assisting patients, and, under direction, arranging appointments with other health care professionals. Assists the Campus Physician with routine clinical procedures according to established protocols.
|Hiring Organization||Thompson Rivers University|
|Post Name||Medical Office Assistant|
|Qualification||Grade 12 plus a Medical Office Assistant Certificate|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 26 To CAD 30 Per Hour|
|Location||Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada V2C 0C8|
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs clinical administrative duties such as reception by screening and assisting patients to ensure correct and appropriate information is either acquired or provided; arranges patient appointments for health care professionals such as physician(s), psychologist(s), psychiatrist(s), and community health nurse(s); processes departmental mail to ensure efficient and effective flow of information.
- Provides occasional clerical assistance and support to the Safety Officer and Associate Director S&EM.
- Responsible for billing WCB, ICBC, MSP, and private insurance companies.
- Coordinates the flu clinics by arranging student/staff appointments, ordering all supplies, and scheduling community-based nurses or other health practitioners to administer flu shots.
- Compiles related confidential records, ministry, and other reports, statistics, and charts by performing such duties as filing/retrieving patient records.
- Processes confidential medical documentation of students entering programs with medical prerequisites.
- Arranges appointments and liaise with health agencies, medical specialists, x-rays, laboratories, or hospitals.
- As a member of the Health Care Team provides clerical support to assist with the coordination of programs designed to promote health awareness within the TRU population.
- As directed, assists the Campus Physician with clinical procedures such as sterilization of medical tools/equipment and prepares equipment for use, prepares specimens for transport, and prepares patients prior to examination according to established guidelines and protocols.
- Performs and records confidential routine tests such as pregnancy, urine, blood pressure, and vision; takes and records patient’s weight and height as required.
- Reconciles weekly cash reports and forwards them to the Finance department.
- Cleans and tidies the First Aid room and Examination rooms.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining office and medical supplies.
- Coordinates the work of work-study students.
- Locates Students in event of emergency situations.
- Grade 12 plus a Medical Office Assistant Certificate or equivalent
- Two years of related experience in a physician’s office, community medical clinic, or a hospital medical clerical unit
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, OR ABILITIES RELATED TO THE JOB
- Ability to perform word processing at 45 wpm
- Ability to maintain a standard of absolute confidentiality regarding medical information and records
- Ability to deal courteously with students, staff, and members of the medical community and general public
- Ability to operate office equipment such as copier, printer, and fax machine
- Practical working knowledge of routine patient care treatments
- Working in close proximity to patients and Health Centre staff
- Front counter work and working at a computer for long periods of time
- Ability to lift weights up to 10 kg.
The salary for the above position is determined by the Collective Agreement with the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 4879, as it presently exists.
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment: Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty, and its scholarship including, but not limited to,
Women, Indigenous, Black, and People of Colour, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.